Member Chef: Cathi Salach
Makes: 6 generous side servings
Prep time: 30 min.
Cook time : 20 min.
Total time: 50 minutes
- 12 oz. green beans
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans
- 1 15 oz. garbanzo beans
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 of a red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 t to 1 1/2 t granular garlic
- 1 t to 1 1/2 t dry Italian seasoning
- 1/2 t red pepper flakes
- 1/4 t to 1/2 t salt (optional)
- 1/4 c good quality balsamic vinegar
- 2 T lemon juice
- 2 T apple sauce
- Steam green beans for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into bite-size pieces.
- Rinse and drain kidney beans and garbanzos.
- Put green beans, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, red onions & parsley into a large bowl.
- Put balsamic, lemon juice & apple sauce into a small bowl and whisk.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss till mixed.
- Sprinkle black pepper, red pepper, salt & 1 tsp. each of garlic & Italian seasoning over salad and toss, mixing well.
- Taste and adjust seasonings if you wish.
- Refrigerate overnight. (Not absolutely necessary to make the night before.)
- For a large crowd this recipe can be doubled or tripled but be careful of how much dressing and seasonings you add.
- Tasty summer salad and very popular potluck dish. Even the omnivores enjoy this. If you can, prepare the night before and let the flavors blend overnight.
- Microwaveable green beans work well in this recipe and save time.
It's the food!