Chef: Lani Muelrath
Makes: Makes about ten muffins
Prep Time: About 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: Roughly an hour
- 10 pitted Medjool dates (about 1 c)
- 1/2 c water
- 2 c whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t allspice
- 1/2 t ginger
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t salt 1/2 (16-ounce) can pumpkin puree (about 1 c)
- 1/4 c soured plant milk (see instructions on page 223, The Plant-Based Journey)
- 1/3 c applesauce
- 1/2 c raisins 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
For the date cream:
- Cover the pitted dates generously with water and soak for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Drain, saving the water to use as part or all of the 1/2 cup of water in the recipe. Add the soaked dates and the water to a food processor or blender.
- Blend to a rich paste.
For the muffin base:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners (or use a silicone pan).
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients, including the date cream. Add to the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Fill the prepared muffin cups to the top and bake for 40–45 minutes, until the tops bounce back when lightly pressed. Muffins will be moist and flavorful.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 1–2 minutes, then remove the muffins from the pan and serve as is, with Sweet Bean Cream (page 203 of my book), or with your favorite jam.
- Store in an airtight container.
Sweet, moist, and delicious, these don’t beg for even a hint of jam, though a dab of Sweet Bean Cream (page 203, The Plant-Based Journey) is a perfect match—kind of like whipped cream on pumpkin pie.
This recipe is adapted from the Easy Pumpkin Muffins in The China Study Cookbook, by LeAnne Campbell. Just like LeAnne, I use whole foods for sweetening when I can, and I decided to make this recipe using date cream—with excellent results.
Lani Muelrath, M.A., is an award-winning teacher, author, top plant-based vegan lifestyle coach and passionista. More from Lani at web www.lanimuelrath.com. facebook [http://facebook.com/lanimuelrath], twitter [https://twitter.com/LaniMuelrath], Instagram[https://www.instagram.com/lani.muelrath]
*(Recipe from The Plant-Based Journey: A Step-by-Step Guide for Transitioning to a Healthy Lifestyle and Achieving Your Ideal Weight by Lani Muelrath, reprinted here with permission from BenBella Books.)