Chef: Jean & Gary Hayes
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10-20 minutes
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 c raw basmati rice or raw brown basmati rice
- 1 1/2 c frozen potatoes O'Brien (with potatoes, onions, peppers)
- 1 c frozen broccoli
- 1 c frozen cauliflower
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- 1/4 c frozen corn
- Optional- a few raisins and raw cashews (Eliminate for PP)
- curry powder
- Start with the onion, garlic, and raw Basmati rice.
- Sauté the onion and garlic, adding several shakes of your favorite curry powder.
- Add a couple of shakes of fenugreek if you have it. That’s the one spice that I think makes curry taste like curry.
- Add the raw rice and sauté with the onion, garlic, and spices, adding water and cooking according to the package directions for the rice. Add a few shakes of turmeric to the rice mixture.
- You can make quick work of this dish if you have an electric pressure cooker. Basmati rice only takes 4 min to cook and brown basmati, 22 minutes. I use 10 min quick release.
- While the rice is cooking steam the vegetables, frozen or fresh, in vegetable broth.
- Throw in a few raisins and cashews while you’re at it (optional).
- Sprinkle in some more curry powder with the vegetables.
- When the rice and vegetables are done, combine them in a big fancy bowl so your wife can take pictures.
- Have some curry powder and Sriracha sauce at the table if you want to turn up the heat on your plate!
Jean Haye’s,(http://theplantbasednurse.com/) plant-based husband, Gary Scott Hayes.