Chef: Cathy Katin-Grazzini
Makes: 8 servings
Prep time: 1 hr
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb mixed colored cherry tomatoes
- Sprigs of fresh thyme or dried thyme leaves
- 2 c cooked mixed beans (kidney, chickpea, black, white, red or mottled)
- 4 lbs mixed fresh greens (turnip or beet greens, Swiss chard, collards, kale or spinach), steamed and squeezed and roughly chopped to yield 3-4 c
- 2-4 T oil-free mild *Moroccan harissa chili paste (recipe below) or available online, Whole Food, Target and Indian markets (Moroccan cuisine is very similar) our area
- Iodized sea salt to taste
*Moroccan harissa chili paste
- 15 mild Kashmiri dried chilis (Available in Indian groceries or online)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 t cumin seed
- 1 t coriander seed
- ½ t sea salt
- 2 c chickpea flour (besan)
- 2T nutritional yeast
- ½ t sea salt
- Large pinch white pepper
- 2 T arrowroot
- 2 T freshly ground flaxseed
- 2 t granulated onion
- 2 t granulated garlic
- ½ c firm tofu, drained well
- 2-3 good quality canned whole tomatoes
Moroccan chili paste
- In a bowl, cover chilis with boiling water.
- Soak until fully softened (Alternatively, microwave for 1 minute and set aside to rehydrate and soften.) Drain.
- Dry roast seeds in a skillet just become aromatic and you see the tendril of smoke appear. Remove from heat. Do not allow to burn or they’ll taste bitter. Cool. Grind in a spice grinder.
- Combine with all harissa ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and uniform, or use a mortar and pestle to pound into paste. Add just enough water to create a paste.
- Halve tomatoes. Place on parchment facing up.
- Strew thyme sprigs or sprinkle thyme leaves.
- Roast tomatoes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit /200 degrees Celsius for 25 minutes or until softened. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine beans, greens, harissa to taste, mixing well. Salt to taste.
- Combine dry crust ingredients in a food processor, pulse to blend. Add tofu and run for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 1 tomato at a time and process to achieve a uniform soft, but not wet, ball of dough. (akin to Playdoh)
- Sprinkle a board with chickpea flour, roll out dough, flipping and flouring, to ¼” thickness. Shape to a pie pan, trim and crimp edges.
- Rill with greens and beans mix, mounding slightly in the center.
- Top with roasted tomatoes.
- Bake 20-25 minutes for full pie – just until golden.
Cathy Katin-Gazzini, a seasoned plant-based nutritional coach and chef, teaches the profound health benefits of plant-based nutrition, without oil, by working with patients to prevent, treat and often reverse their chronic disease conditions through lifestyle counseling, group immersion programs and her empowering cooking classes. Visit Cathy at cathyskitchenprescription.com, https://www.facebook.com/cathyskitchenprescription/, https://twitter.com/CathysKitchenRx and https://www.instagram.com/cathyskitchenprescription.