Chef: Timaree Hagenburger, The Nutrition Professor
Makes: 8 cups
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 4 c watermelon, ¼” diced
- 4 c jicama, well peeled and cut into ¼” dice
- Zest from 1 orange
- I/2 c fresh orange juice (from about 1 ½ oranges)
- Zest from 1 lime
- ¼ c fresh lime juice (from about 1 1 /2 limes)
- 1-2 T maple syrup or date syrup
- ½ t ground black pepper
- ½-1/3 c fresh mint leaves (torn into tiny pieces)
- Salt to taste (dash-optional)
- Make a dressing in a small bowl by whisking together the zest from orange and lime, orange juice, lime juice, maple/date syrup and black pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine watermelon, Jicama and mint.
- Drizzle with all of dressing and carefully stir until well combined.
- Taste and season with a dash of salt if desired.
- Always zest citrus with a microplane (one of my favorite cooking tools), BEFORE squeezing the fruit for juice.
- Watch Timaree shop for Jicama at the Farmer’s Market (California Bountiful TV) and then, make the recipe.
Timaree Hagenburger, MPH, RD, EP-c, cherishes opportunities to connect her knowledge and passion for food, cooking, physical activity & good health with those who follow her. Her style is marked by a blend of fun and practicality, as she offers strategies and inspiration for finding pleasure in preparing and partaking in nourishing meals. Relish in Timaree’s love for whole plant based nutrition on TheNutritionProfessor.com!
Timaree’s innovative and engaging cookbook, The Foodie Bar Way: One Meal. Lots of options. Eveeryone's Happy., provides incredible options to make everyone happy. Available as an Ebook or a full-color, 303 page, printed book, at www.FoodieBars.com.