PP Tex Mex Potato Meal
Chef: Denise Kling-Pelto
Makes: 1-2 Servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- I large russet or golden potato or 2 medium potatoes
- ½ - 1 can black beans; rinsed, and well drained
- ½-1c fresh greens of your choice
- 1/2c fresh salsa; your favorite no oil, low sodium and sugar, drain excess juice.
- ½ 12 oz bag frozen peppers and onions (or cut up your own)
- Microwave your potato until softened, about 5-7 minutes on high with some water in a covered bowl. Check after 5 and proceed when tender.
- Cut lengthwise and fluff flesh with a fork to receive other ingredients.
- Place black beans, then salsa, greens and last, the peppers and onions on the potato.
- Cover, I use paper towel, and cook on high for 3 minutes.
- Scrub your potato(es) and pierce for easier cooking.
- Drain your salsa if you want a dryer potato meal.
- If you make the creamy vegan cheese sauce on the PBNSG site by Chuck Underwood, that’s great addition, if you have on hand, place directly on potato and the rest of the ingredients.
- You can use a sweet potato, too.
- Your favorite bean, or oil free refried beans can be used, too.
PBNSG’s “Culinary Curator”, Denise teaches many of the Transitions Classes and makes the contacts with chefs from the United States and around the world. With her partner, Debby Knight Jones, she teaches and presents at multiple venues around the area.