PS or PP Vegan Broccoli & Rice Casserole
Chef: Terri Edwards; EatPlant-Based.com
Makes: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 40 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- I c potatoes; peeled and diced
- ¼ c carrots, diced
- ¼ c onions, diced
- 1 c veggie broth
- ½ c raw cashews (PS; or, ½ c white beans PP)
- 4 T nutritional yeast
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t salt
- ½ t garlic powder
- 1 pinch paprika
- ½ pinch cayenne pepper (Optional)
- 4 c broccoli, cut into small florets
- ¾ c onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ c red bell pepper, diced
- ½ c celery, diced
- 3-4 T veggie broth
- 1 c chickpeas, cooked
- 3c brown rice, cooked
- 3 c Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1 t garlic powder
- 1 t rosemary
- ½ t dried thyme
- 1 t smoked paprika
- ½ t dry steak seasoning
- 2 T slivered almonds (optional; NOT PP)
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat Oven 350 degrees and line a 9 x 13 baking dish with parchment paper
Creamy Vegan Cheese Sauce
- In a medium pot, bring about 3 c of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots and onion in pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender; approximately 15 min. (Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are diced).
- If using cashews (PS), blend into a cashew butter. If using beans (PP), rinse well.
- When veggies are tender, (reserve 1 c of the liquid broth) drain and place them in blender.
- Place cashew butter or beans into the blender.
- Add I c of liquid potato broth.
- Blend until smooth.
- In a medium size sauce pan, sauté onion, garlic, red bell pepper and celery in veggie broth.
- Cook until slightly tender, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook another 3 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas, brown rice, 2 c of the cheese sauce, (almonds, if using) and spices.
- Save the remaining 1 c of cheese sauce for topping.
- Mix thoroughly and remove from the heat.
- Pour mixture into your prepared baking dish, pressing in with spoon to fill the pan.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 c of cheese sauce over the top. (I like to sprinkle a little more smoked paprika on top.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cheese sauce is ready to use in this casserole or anything else you make that would be complimented by a creamy, cheesy sauce.
- Cheese sauce recipe makes approximately 1 qt.
- Cheese sauce can be stored in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
TERRI EDWARDS is a Licensed Food for Life Instructor and Educator. Connect with Terri at her blog EatPlant-Based.com & blog.eatplant-based.com for her latest recipes and plant-based living tips. Follow her on FaceBook at (https://www.facebook.com/EatPlantBased/ )