Chef: Cathy Katin-Grazzini
Makes: 4-6 Servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr & 30 minutes
- 1 lb Good quality whole wheat farfalle (or other short, whole grain pasta)
- 2 lbs multicolored cherry & grape tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- Sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 t thyme leaves
- 1 medium large red onion, medium dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Approx ¼ - ½ c Unsalted veggie broth, dry vermouth or white wine vinegar to deglaze pan
- 3-4 orange & yellow bell peppers, seeded & sliced
- Several fresh basil sprigs
Plant-Based Mornay Sauces
- 4 T tapioca flour
- ¾ t iodized sea salt
- ¼ t ground white pepper
- 1 t granulated onion (or powder)
- 1 t granulated garlic (or powder)
- 4 T nutritional yeast
- 2 t lemon juice (or white wine vinegar OR apple cider vinegar)
- ½ c silken tofu
- 2 c almond or soy milk, unsweetened
- ¼ t freshly ground hing (asafetida), available online or in Indian groceries
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Zest of 1 organic lemon
- Fresh basil leaves, cut chiffonade
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F/175 degrees C.
- On parchment, sprinkle thyme leaves over tomatoes, salt & pepper very lightly.
- Dry roast for 35-45 minutes or until they’ve released their liquid. (Concentrates their flavor) Make sure they are only lightly toasted along their edges.
- Remove thyme sprigs.
- For the Mornay Sauce, blend all dry ingredients in a food processor or blender. Add the tofu, lemon juice & plant milk; blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a saucepan & cook over medium heat, whisking until thickened to the consistency of cream.
- Set aside.
- In a stainless or non-stick skillet, dry sauté onions over medium heat, stirring until they brown & begin to adhere to the pan bottom.
- Add garlic & stir for 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan. (pour in veggie broth, dry vermouth or white wine)
- Add peppers, lower flame, sauté until very soft (15-20, minutes), adding minimal liquid as needed.
- Add basil leaves in final few minutes.
- Cool slightly, transfer to a food processor & puree until smooth.
- Add the Mornay sauce & blend. This is now your pepper Crème.
- Cook pasta in abundant boiling water, salted lightly to taste, until al dente.
- Transfer to a warmed serving bowl, add sufficient pepper crème to coat well.
- Plate, top with warmed roasted tomatoes, garnish with basil chiffonade & lemon zest & serve immediately.
Cathy Katin-Gazzini, a seasoned plant-based nutritional coach and chef, teaches the profound health benefits of plant-based nutrition, without oil, by working with patients to prevent, treat and often reverse their chronic disease conditions through lifestyle counseling, group immersion programs and her empowering cooking classes. Visit Cathy at cathyskitchenprescription.com, https://www.facebook.com/cathyskitchenprescription/, https://twitter.com/CathysKitchenRx and https://www.instagram.com/cathyskitchenprescription.