Chef: Chuck Underwood
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Total Time: 25 min
- 1 med onion (diced)
- 2 ribs celery (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (15 oz can)
- 1 jar roasted red bell peppers packed in water (16 oz)
- 2 c vegetable broth (low sodium)
- 1 potato – Russet or Yukon (peeled & diced)
- ½ t Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch Kosher salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch Brown Sugar (optional but cuts the acidity)
- Sauté onion and celery in a few T of water or broth until softened.
- Add minced garlic and simmer until fragrant – about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes and stir.
- Drain & rinse the peppers and add them to the soup.
- Add broth and the peeled and diced potato. Stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a low boil. Cook 15 minutes, covered.
- Remove lid and check potatoes for tenderness. The carefully blend either using a regular blender or an immersion blender.
- Add seasoning to taste.
- Garnish with chopped green onions, homemade crouton. Serve with your favorite oil-free whole grain bread.