Chef: Chuck Underwood; Brand New Vegan
Makes: 12 Bowls
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr
Total Time: 1 hr 20 minutes
- 1 clove garlic minced fine
- 1 stalk celery minced fine
- 1 medium carrot minced fine
- 1/4 c vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 oz Button Mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz Portabello Mushrooms sliced
- 1 t dried rosemary
- 1 t italian seasoning
- 1/2 c red wine (ok to sub with more broth but the wine really adds a good flavor)
- 3 c veggie broth low sodium
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t ground pepper
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes no salt added
- 2 medium carrots sliced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 yukon gold potatoes rough chopped
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/2 t kitchen bouquet
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 c frozen peas
- Mince the carrot, celery stalk, and small onion very fine.
- Saute this mixture in 1/4 c of veggie broth until the veggies are nice and soft.
- Add the large chopped onion and continue cooking until softened.
- It’s ok if the liquid gets a little low – the brown bits add to the flavor.
- Add the mushrooms and cook on medium high until they lose their liquid.
- Season with the rosemary and Italian seasoning.
- Add the wine and deglaze any brown spots in your pan. (This is the good stuff!)
- After a few minutes add the rest of the broth, the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add all your chopped veggies and turn the heat up to boil.
- Add the rest of the seasonings – but not the cornstarch.
- Once it’s boiling, turn down the heat to low and add the peas.
- Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water and stir this in to thicken.
- Simmer to desired consistency.