Chef: Jeff Tritten
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 60 min
Total Time: 1 hr 15 min
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 lg red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely diced or minced
- 1 c fresh Okra, chopped in rounds
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 c low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, NOT drained
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 7 oz can tomato paste
- 1 T low sodium tamari
- ¾ t oregano
- 3/5 t thyme
- 1 & ½ t smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ t cayenne pepper (optional-or more to taste)
- 1/8 t Red Pepper Flakes (optional-spicy)
- 1 c brown rice
- Sauté onions, garlic, red pepper and okra. Okra will be a bit slimy which is normal. Sauté with a splash of water.
- Sauté until onions begin to get translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes, kidney beans, celery and tomato paste and stir.
- Stir in all spices. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add rice. Brown rice takes at least 40 minutes to cook. Alternatively, white rice works and will only take about 20 minutes. Cook until rice is tender and most liquids are absorbed.
- If you like, feel free add to add to taste. Alternatively, you could use low sodium soy sauce which will make it saltier.
- You may use cooked beans and fresh tomato if you prefer.
Jeff Tritten is a respectful plant-based advocate. He owns 'Respectful Living', a blog located at ARespectfulLife.com, and spends his time creating recipes, writing plant based nutritional information articles, being a small group leader for PBNSG.org, bringing plant based nutritional information to his local community at their farmers market and senior center, and creating a healthy vegan snack line. Also find him on https://www.facebook.com/ARespectfulLife/, https://www.instagram.com/respectfulliving1/,
https://twitter.com/respectfullivin, https://www.pinterest.com/MindfulLife1/, https://www.linkedin.com/in/respectful-living-74871b13a/.