Chef: Kenden Alfond; Jewish Hero Cookbook
Makes: 8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 5 1/2 c low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 c diced onion (from 2 medium onions)
- 12 c sliced button mushrooms
- 2 t dried dill or 2 T fresh dill
- 1 T Hungarian paprika, or to taste (or regular sweet paprika)
- 3 T soy sauce (or gluten-free tamari)
- 2 c rice milk
- 1/2 c strained tomatoes
- 1 1/2 t sea salt, or to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1–2 T flour to thicken the soup (Optional)
- 1 c fresh minced parsley (Garnish)
Tofu Sour Cream
- 1 1/2 c silken tofu
- 2 t lemon juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Place ¼ c of the vegetable broth in a large soup pot and heat over medium heat
- Add the onion and a pinch of sea salt
- Cook and stir the onion for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the onions are tender
- Add the mushrooms, another pinch of sea salt and ¼ cup of vegetable broth, and cook and stir for an additional 5 to 10 minutes, until the mushrooms have softened
- Stir in the dill, paprika, and soy sauce
- Add the remaining vegetable broth, rice milk and strained tomatoes
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat to simmer on low for 20 minutes
- Add the sea salt and black pepper
- If adding flour to thicken, use ¼ c of cold water and add flour, stirring until dissolved.
- Add mixture to the soup and stir until thickened.
- Simmer for an additional 5 minutes
- Serve hot, in decorative soup bowls, garnish with a dollop of tofu "sour cream" & a sprinkling of parsley.
Tofu Sour Cream
- Place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth
Serve hot, in decorative soup bowls, garnished with a dollop of tofu “sour cream” and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.
Kenden Alfond coined the archetype of "The Jewish Food Hero". Passionate about her Jewish culinary heritage, she takes traditional Jewish recipes and spins them into delicious whole plant based cuisine without oil. “The Jewish Food Hero calls out to the healthy hero within each of us. It helps us all to create a new and healthy food future, one that is connected to our most beautiful traditions...“ View all of Kenden’s projects and her gorgeous website at http://jewishfoodhero.com/about/. If you like this recipe, you will love the Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Plant Based Recipes for your Holiday Table.
Click here to review the cookbook.