PP Twice Baked Sweet Potato Tzimmes
Chef: Kenden Alfond; Jewish Food Hero Kitchen
Makes: 4-6 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hr (sweet potatoes) 15 minutes (browning)
Total Time: 1 hr 30 minutes
- 4 lg sweet potatoes (or yams)
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 2 t cinnamon
- ¼ t sea salt, or to taste
- ¼ c raw sugar or maple syrup
- 1 c prunes, coarsely chopped
- Garnish: 2 green onions
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place Sweet potatoes on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until completely baked.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- When cool enough to handle, slice sweet potatoes in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the orange flesh and place it in a large bowl.
- Reserve the sweet potato skins.
- In a large bowl, mash the sweet potato flesh, adding the orange juice, cinnamon, sea salt and raw sugar/maple syrup.
- Stir in chopped prunes
- Fill the empty sweet potato skins with this mixture and place them on a baking sheet
- Bake for 15 minutes, until they are golden on top
- Garnish with thinly sliced green onion if desired.
Kenden Alfond coined the archetype of "The Jewish Food Hero". Passionate about her Jewish culinary heritage, she takes traditional Jewish recipes and spins them into delicious whole plant based cuisine without oil. “The Jewish Food Hero calls out to the healthy hero within each of us. It helps us all to create a new and healthy food future, one that is connected to our most beautiful traditions...“ View all of Kenden’s projects and her gorgeous website at http://jewishfoodhero.com/about/. If you like this recipe, you will love the Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Plant Based Recipes for your Holiday Table.
Click here to review the cookbook.