Chef: Kenden Alfond; Jewish Hero Cookbook
Makes: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- ½ lemon, sliced into thin rounds and quartered
- 3 ¼ c coarsely grated carrots (from about 10 medium-sized carrots)
- 1 c chopped dried apricots
- ¼ c minced parsley
- 2 t ground cumin
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- Sliced shallots or green onion to taste; Optional
- 1 t fresh orange zest
- 3/ 4 c fresh orange juice
- 2 T lemon juice
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook the lemon slices by placing the quartered lemon slices in a small skillet and
- sauté for 5 minutes
Salad & Seasoning
- Grate the carrots using the food processor grater function (or a hand grater).
- In a large bowl, combine the carrots, dried apricots, and parsley.
- Add the sautéed lemon slices, along with all of the remaining ingredients, and mix well.
- Add shallots or green onion if using.
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to blend
- Just before serving, pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat
Kenden Alfond coined the archetype of "The Jewish Food Hero". Passionate about her Jewish culinary heritage, she takes traditional Jewish recipes and spins them into delicious whole plant based cuisine without oil. “The Jewish Food Hero calls out to the healthy hero within each of us. It helps us all to create a new and healthy food future, one that is connected to our most beautiful traditions...“ View all of Kenden’s projects and her gorgeous website at http://jewishfoodhero.com/about/. If you like this recipe, you will love the Jewish Food Hero Cookbook: 50 Plant Based Recipes for your Holiday Table.
Click here to review the cookbook.