Chef: Vicki Brett-Gach
Makes: 8 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 2 or 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 c vegetable broth
- 2 c pre-cooked black-eyed peas (or 1 15 oz can, drained and rinsed)
- ¾ t ground cumin
- ½ t turmeric
- ½ t coriander
- ¼ t cayenne pepper (use more or less to taste)
- 1 ½ t Kosher salt, or to taste
- ½ t coarsely ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 c of raw baby kale, chopped
- Heat a large pot over high heat. Add the onion, and dry saute until the onion becomes translucent.
- Sprinkle a little bit of water as needed to prevent sticking to the pan.
- Add shallot and celery, continue to saute vegetables until golden.
- To the sautéed vegetables, add tomatoes, broth, cooked black-eyed peas and seasonings.
- Combine well.
- Toss the kale on top.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer together for 20 to 30 minutes, or until vegetables are all very tender.
- Remove lid and continue to simmer for a few minutes more, reducing liquid to desired consistency.
- Serve bean and greens hot, over creamy mashed potatoes, or alongside warmed who grain tortillas.
VICKI BRETT-GACH is a Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator. Connect with Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AnnArborVeganKitchen) and follow her Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen blog at https://annarborvegankitchen.com for new recipes as soon as they are published.