Chef: Del Sroufe
Makes: 16 Tortillas
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 1 small yellow onion, diced small
- 1 large poblano pepper, diced small
- 1 10 oz bag frozen corn, or 1 ½ c fresh corn kernels
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 t ground cumin
- 3 c (left over) mashed potatoes or frozen no oil hash browns
- Sea salt to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper, optional
- 16 corn tortillas
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnish
- Salsa or Guacamole (plant strong only) for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Saute the onion and pablano pepper in a large skillet over medium high heat for 7 to 8 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and the onions have started to brown.
- Add water to 1 to 2 tablespoons at a time to keep the vegetables from sticking.
- Add the corn and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and ground cumin and cook another minute to toast the cumin.
- Add the potatoes, sea salt and cayenne pepper, and mix well. Set aside, so you can toast the tortillas.
- To toast the corn tortillas, heat a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Place a layer of tortillas in the pan and let them cook for 2 minutes. Turn and cook the other side for 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- As you pull the tortillas from the pan, fill each with ¼ c of the potato filling and roll the tortilla up around the filling.
- Place the rolled-up taquitos on a baking sheet. When all the taquitos are made, bake them for 10-12 minutes until the tortillas start to brown.
- To serve, place the taquitos on a serving platter and garnish them with the chopped cilantro.
- Serve with your choice of salsa &/or guacamole (plant strong only).
Chef Del Sroufe teaches cooking classes at local venues like Whole Foods, Community Recreation Centers, and The Wellness Forum. Sroufe is the author of The China Study: Quick & Easy Cookbook, The China Study Family Cookbook, Better Than Vegan, and Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook, a vegan cookbook companion to the acclaimed documentary Forks Over Knives. Learn more at www.chefdelsroufe.com.