Chef: Laura Theodore; The Jazzy Vegetarian
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 25-35 minutes
Total Time: 50-60 minutes
- 2 small heads of cauliflower
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow or sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 t Italian seasoning
- 1 t reduced-sodium tamari
- 1/4 c water, divided, plus more as needed
- 2 c cremini or white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 c jarred, oil-free marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Trim one to two inches off two opposite sides of the cauliflower heads and set aside for use another time.
- Steam the trimmed cauliflower heads for 12 to 18 minutes or until they are just crisp-tender.
- Cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the onions, Italian seasoning, tamari, and 2 tablespoons water in a large skillet.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, adding more water, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the peppers and 2 tablespoons water, and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to medium-low and stir in 1 cup of the marinara.
- Cover and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Spread 1 cup marinara sauce evenly in the bottom of a rimmed casserole that is large enough to accommodate the cauliflower steaks.
- Cut each cauliflower head down the center into two or three 3/4-inch to 1-inch thick slices, as if slicing a loaf of bread.
- Set the cauliflower slices in the prepared casserole.
- Top each cauliflower slice with one-quarter of the onion and pepper sauce.
- Cover and bake 25 to 35 minutes or until the cauliflower steaks are tender.
- Uncover the casserole for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Cool for 5 minutes. Serve with extra sauce on the side.
With her love for good food, compassion for animals and enthusiasm for great music, multi-talented author, Laura Theodore, truly is the Jazzy Vegetarian. Experience the JazzyVegetarian @ www.jazzyvegetarian.com, www.lauratheodore.com, www.vegan-ease.com
Streaming Online Television Channel: www.jazzyvegetariantv.com
Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/JazzyVegetarian/