PP My Sister Mary's Plant Perfection Pizza
Chef: Jeannie Hudkins
Makes: 3 - 4 servings
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 3 c whole wheat flour
- ½ t salt
- 1 T sugar (or dehydrated cane juice)
- 1 T yeast
- ½ - 1 c no-oil marinara sauce
- 10 oz. spinach (wilted and drained)
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz mushrooms, sliced, and water-sauteed until water is released
- 1 large tomato, thinly sliced
- olives, sliced (Optional. If using, pizza will be plant-strong with the added fat.)
- In a bowl, place 3c whole wheat flour.
- Add ½ t salt. Mix.
- In a separate small bowl, place ½ c warm water. Add the sugar and yeast; stir until
- yeast dissolves. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes for bubbles to form, indicating yeast is good.
- Add yeast mixture to flour, mix well. Add another ½ c warm water, and mix with hands to form a stiff dough ball.
- Place a tablespoon of flour on bread board (or work directly on a granite counter, as it keeps the dough from sticking).
- Knead 9 - 10 minutes.
- Place dough back into bowl and cover with a plate, foil, or plastic wrap.
- Place bowl inside unheated oven and let rise for 1 ½ hours.
- When ready, take bowl out of oven, place on counter, and punch dough ball flat.
- Line a pizza pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Form the dough to fit inside the pizza pan. Flatten dough so it is even and not too thick inside the pizza pan. Let crust extend quite a bit over the edge. (If you have excess dough, simply tear off excess from crust.)
- Place toppings on in the following order: marinara sauce, spinach, uncooked red onion, mushrooms, tomato slices, and olives, if using.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet