Chef: Marla Rose; Vegan Street
Makes: 4-6 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes (Dilly Slaw) 10 minutes (BBQ Jackfruit Taco “Meat”)
Cook Time: 35 minutes or until tender
Total Time: 1 hour 11 minutes
- 40 oz canned jackfruit in water or brine, drained, rinsed and shredded with a fork or sharp knife
- 1 T low sodium tamari
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ t liquid smoke
- ½ c plus 2 T of your favorite (no oil) vegan BBQ sauce, homemade/store bought, divided
- ¼ c low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 t cayenne powder (optional)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare slaw first. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and stir; season to your preference.
- Allow to sit for 20 minutes or more to absorb the flavors and soften.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- (You will be healthy sautéing w/ water or veggie broth. To prevent sticking, put a little and let it bubble in pan.)
- Add the shredded jackfruit and saute, stirring often with a spatula, for about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, tamari and liquid smoke, sautéing for 6 minutes.
- Add ½ c of BBQ sauce, vegetable broth and cayenne (if using), bring to a simmer, then lower the heat to medium low.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add more broth by the tablespoon if mixture gets too dry.
- When jackfruit has reached the desired level of tenderness, add the final two tablespoons of BBQ sauce, stir through and remove from heat.
- Serve hot and garnish as you wish with Dilly Slaw on top!
Marla Rose and John Beske hatched the idea for the original VeganStreet.com in 1997. Vegan Street conveyed the sense of community and spirit of optimism they felt about compassionate living. Through combining their convictions about veganism with their passions for writing, communications and the arts, they began to carve out their perfect vehicle to express it with -- VeganStreet.com.