Chef: Del Sroufe
Makes: 6 hot dogs
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes to cook marinated dogs & brown
Total Time: 20 minutes (This does NOT include 12 hours of marinating time)
- 6 large carrots, peeled and trimmed to fit your hot dog buns
- 2 c water
- ¼ c tamari
- 1 T red wine vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 t granulated onion
- 1 t mustard powder
- 1 t ground coriander
- ½ t ground mace
- ½ t smoked paprika
- ¼ t black pepper
- 6 hot dog buns, toasted if desired.
- Bring a 2 qt pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat. Add carrots and bring the water back to a boil Reduce the heat to medium and let the carrots cook until they are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain the carrots and rinse them under cook water to stop the cooking process.
- While carrots are cooking, whisk together the water, tamari, red wine vinegar, garlic, granulated onion, mustard powder, coriander, mace, smoked paprika, and black pepper in a baking dish. Add the carrots to the marinade and toss to coat. Cover the dish and refrigerate for at least 12 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium–high heat. Add the carrots and the marinade and cook, turning the carrots occasionally, until most of the marinade has evaporated and the carrots have started to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Serve in a bun with your favorite toppings.
- Be sure to choose carrot of equal size so they all cook the same amount of time.
- Check out The China Study Family Cookbook on page 179 to create a “Lentil Chili” dog!
Chef Del Sroufe teaches cooking classes at local venues like Whole Foods, Community Recreation Centers, and The Wellness Forum. Sroufe is the author of The China Study: Quick & Easy Cookbook, The China Study Family Cookbook, Better Than Vegan, and Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook, a vegan cookbook companion to the acclaimed documentary Forks Over Knives. Learn more at www.chefdelsroufe.com.