Chef: Del Sroufe
Makes: 9 ice pops
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Soak Time: 4 hours (cashews & dates)
Freeze Time: 3 hours (ice pops)
- ½ c raw cashews
- 1 c Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 c strawberries or blue berries, or raspberries; fresh or frozen
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- Put the cashews and dates in a bowl, cover with water, and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain and reserve the soaking liquid.
- Transfer the cashews and dates to a blender, along with the berries and lemon juice.
- Puree until smooth and creamy, adding enough of the soaking liquid to make a creamy consistency.
- Spoon the puree into freezer pop molds, cover, and place craft sticks in the molds.
- Freeze until firm, about 3 hours.
- To remove the pops from the molds, rinse the molds under cool water for 30 seconds,
- Remove the lid, and gently pull the pops from the molds.
- Serve immediately or store frozen in zip-top bags.
- To make vanilla cheesecake pops, leave out the berries and add 2 T more cashews, ¼ c water, and 1 t pure vanilla extract to blender.
- Removing the pops from the molds can take a little effort and a little patience. The first time I made freezer pops I thought that hot water was the best way to get the pops out of the mold. Instead, I made a mess. Practice patience in the kitchen and teach your kids the same. You will be rewarded with a better treat for your efforts.
- Sugar-free dessert may not taste sweet enough for those first starting to eat a healthier diet. It can take several weeks for your taste buds to down-regulate. If your kids, or you, are not enjoying sugar-free choices like this one, start by replacing half of the dates with an equal amount of maple syrup and then slowly reducing the amount of maple syrup while increasing the amount of dates in subsequent batches.
Chef Del Sroufe teaches cooking classes at local venues like Whole Foods, Community Recreation Centers, and The Wellness Forum. Sroufe is the author of The China Study: Quick & Easy Cookbook, The China Study Family Cookbook, Better Than Vegan, and Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook, a vegan cookbook companion to the acclaimed documentary Forks Over Knives. Learn more at www.chefdelsroufe.com.