Chef: Chuck Underwood
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 360 minutes
Total Time: 6 hours 30 minutes
- 3 c dried Great Northern Beans
- 2 c bean liquid
- 2 c vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 t salt
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell green pepper, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ to ½ jalapeno pepper minced
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- ¼ c molasses
- ¼ c brown sugar
- 1 T yellow mustard
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- ¼ t ground pepper
- ¼ t chipotle powder
- Soak bean overnight in several inches of water.
- Drain and rinse beans next morning.
- Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
- As soon as the beans begin to boil, remove from the heat and cover.
- Let rest 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans, reserving 2 c bean juice.
- Add vegetable broth, onion, garlic, peppers and salt.
- Bring to a boil again and simmer on low for 1 hr.
- Add mixture to a crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and slow cook on low 4-6 hours.