Chef: Terri Edwards
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 2 c whole wheat flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t baking soda
- ½ t salt
- 1 t cinnamon
- ½ t ground allspice
- ½ c brown sugar or date past (see below)
- 15 oz natural applesauce
- ½ c water
- 1 t vanilla
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- ½ c raisins
- ½ c apple, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl, mix together all dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, brown sugar/date paste.
- In medium bowl, whisk together applesauce, water, vanilla, vinegar, and brown sugar/date paste.
- Pour well-blended wet mixture into a larg
- e bowl with dry ingredients.
- Peel and dice ½ c apples, add to bowl, along with raisins and mix well.
- Spoon batter into a silicon muffin baking non-stick pan or paper muffin cups. I recommend the silicon pan because these seem to stick to paper cups after baking. Place in oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool and serve.
Date Paste Recipe
- Soak ½ c of dates in ½ c of water overnight or approximately 8 hours
- Remove dates from water and set the water aside.
- Puree dates in food processor or blender.
- Add a few T of soaking water to the date puree and continue to blend. Blend until the date paste is creamy.
- Add more soaking water if needed.
TERRI EDWARDS is a Licensed Food for Life Instructor and Educator. Connect with Terri at her blog EatPlant-Based.com & blog.eatplant-based.com for her latest recipes and plant-based living tips. Follow her on FaceBook at (https://www.facebook.com/EatPlantBased/ )