PP Fabulous Beet Burgers
Chef: Vicki Brett Gach
Makes: 8-10 beet burgers
Prep Time: 1 hour (to roast beets and onions) and simultaneously cook rice with greens
Cook Time: 25 minutes to bake beet burgers in the oven
Total Time: 1 hour and 25 minutes
- 3 medium roasted beets (see below)*
- 1 large roasted onion (see below)*
- 1 c brown rice, mixed with steamed greens (see below)**
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 c ground flaxseed meal
- 1 t kosher salt
- 1/2 t cumin
- 1/2 t Creole Seasoning
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a food processor or blender, add the beets, onion, and all other ingredients, and process until almost (but not entirely) smooth.
- Empty contents into a color-safe bowl, or onto a clean color-safe surface. Divide mixture evenly into 8 to 10 portions. Form each one into a flat burger-shaped patty.
- Place burgers on a non-stick baking sheet or oven-safe griddle.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until almost firm to the touch.
- Remove beet burgers from oven, and serve immediately on toasted whole grain buns, along with your favorite condiments and toppings (lettuce, tomato, pickles, mustard, hummus, etc.).
*To roast the beets and onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and trim beets. Wrap each one individually in aluminum foil.
- Trim and peel the onion, and wrap in foil.
- Place the 4 foil packets in the oven and roast for one hour. Remove from oven and allow the packets to cool, without opening. (Roasting can be completed early in the day, or even the day before. If making ahead, refrigerate cooled vegetables until ready to use.)
- Once the beets have cooled, open foil packets and carefully remove and discard the thin outer skin.
*Brown rice and steamed greens
- For convenience, cook the greens along with your rice. The amount of greens you use is up to you!
- Just wash and chop your choice of fresh greens (beet greens or kale work great).
- Add uncooked greens to the uncooked rice and allow both to steam together on the stove or in a rice cooker. (This combination is optional. Plain cooked brown rice is fine, too.)
Vicki Brett-Gach: Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator / Certified Personal Chef
Starch Solution Certified / Forks Over Knives Plant-Based Certified
Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen, LLC
Website and Blog: www.annarborvegankitchen.com