Chefs: Lisa Franzino; Kailo Nutrition
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 2 T vegetable stock, plus more as needed
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 medium eggplant, diced, skin on
- 1 T fresh thyme leaves
- 2 medium green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large zucchini, cut into quarter inch rounds
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved (about 20)
- ¼ c thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, loosely packed
- 1 T chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- ½ a lemon, juice of (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
- ½ t Herbs de Provence
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ c teff
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Spread the tomatoes out on a baking pan lined with parchment paper and roast for 30 minutes.
- Cook the teff by adding ½ -cup teff grain to 1 ½ cups boiling water or stock. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 – 20 minutes or until water is absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Preheat a large sauté pan. Add the onions and dry sauté for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add a teaspoon of vegetable stock to deglaze the pan and keep the onions from sticking. Add the garlic
- and the fresh thyme leaves and sauté for another minute seconds.
- Add the peppers and continue to sauté for another minute, stirring constantly and adding a teaspoon of vegetable stock as needed.
- Add the zucchini and eggplant and continue to sauté until vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes).
- Remove the tomatoes from the oven and add to the pan.
- Stir to further break up the tomatoes and incorporate.
- Reduce the heat to low.
- Add the lemon juice, balsamic, salt and pepper and simmer for 30 - 35 minutes.
- Add the basil and parsley.
- Serve over cooked teff.
Chef Lisa Franzino, Director of "Culinary Empowerment", in concert with founder Heather Borders, the "Chief Empowerment Officer" at Kailo Nutrition, teach Floridians to empower their health with a plant based lifestyle. Visit them at Kailonutrition.com