Chef: Vicki Brett Gach
Makes: 8-10 Servings
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 22 minutes
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 26 oz jar oil free marinara sauce, oil free homemade marinara or 3 1/2 cups strained tomatoes
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 1 15 oz can navy or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c whole wheat orzo
- 1/4 t red pepper flakes
- 1 t kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper
- In a large soup pot, steam-sauté onion and carrots in a little water for about 5 to 8 minutes, or until tender.
- Add the celery and continue cooking for another minute.
- Add the marinara sauce (or tomatoes), broth, beans, pasta, and seasonings.
- Simmer for approximately 10 minutes or until orzo is al dente.
- Ladle into bowls and serve immediately.
- Serve this hearty soup any night of the week, along with a fresh green salad and toasted whole grain bread.
- If you have leftovers, Spicy Tomato Soup with Orzo is great for lunch the next day, too.