PP Thanksgiving Savory Lentil Loaf
Chef: Amber Poupore; Cacao Tree Café & Clean Plate
Makes: 1 loaf
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
Cooling Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 1 c dry lentils (green or French petit)
- 2 1/2 c water or vegetable broth (low sodium, oil-free)
- 1-2 T sea salt for sautéing vegetables
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery stalk, finely diced
- 3/4 c rolled oats (GF oats)
- 1/2 c oat flour or besan flour (garbanzo bean flour)
- 1 heaping t dried thyme
- 1/2 heaping t cumin
- 1/2 t each garlic powder & onion powder
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 T flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1/3 c water (6 tablespoons)
- 3 T organic ketchup
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- Thoroughly rinse lentils. In a large pot add 2 1/2 cups water (or broth) with lentils and 3 bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once done, remove the lid and set aside to cool. they will thicken upon standing, about 15 minutes is good.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl combine flaxseed meal and 1/3 cup water, set aside for at least 10 minutes, preferably in the refrigerator. This will act as a binder and will thicken nicely upon sitting.
- Prepare vegetables. Sauté sea salt, garlic, onion, sweet potato and celery for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
- Add spices, mixing well to incorporate and keep cooking on medium heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Using a food processor or blender, mix 3/4 of cooked lentils and lentil stock water.
- In a mixing bowl, combine sautéed vegetables, pureed lentils and whole lentils, oats and oat flour and the flaxseed mix. Salt and pepper to taste if preferred.
- Place mixture into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper, leaving it overlapping for easy removal later. Press down firmly, filling in along the edges too. Gently tap pan on the counter to ensure that the loaf has settled completely into the pan.
- Bake uncovered in oven for 45 - 50 minutes. Allow to cool 15-20 minutes, remove from pan and slice. The loaf can be refrigerated and reheated for leftovers for up to 6 days.
- Prepare your glaze by combining all ingredients in a small bowl, mix until incorporated.
- Spread evenly over the top of the loaf. The glaze is not needed to bake the loaf.
- Serve with your favorite savory mushroom gravy and/or bake with a tomato glaze.
Amber Poupore's passion is bringing plant-based nutrition to everyone and anyone who chooses health, compassion for animals and love of the environment. She opened the Cacao Tree in 2010, launched the transitioning restaurant “Clean Plate” in 2013 and just launched her new catering kitchen this year. Visit her @ https://www.facebook.com/amber.poupore.