Culinary Enthusiast: Dr. Allan Kalmus/Reluctant Vegan
Makes: 5 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled (less is okay)
- ¾ c unsweetened almond milk
- ½ c low-fat silken tofu
- 1½ lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1½ t salt
- ¼ t White pepper
- In small saucepan, combine garlic and broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until garlic is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer broth to blender or food processor. Add tofu and process until mixture is smooth and creamy. Set aside, and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, in large saucepan, combine potatoes with enough cold water to cover. Add 1 tsp. salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Reserving ½ cup of starchy potato cooking water, drain potatoes well.
- In large bowl, mash potatoes; gently stir in warm tofu mixture and enough reserved potato water to make smooth puree. Season with remaining ½ tsp. Salt (or to taste), pepper and serve
Best Ever Fat-Free Vegan Gravy
Recipe from Chuck Underwood; BrandNewVegan.com
Makes: 2 1/2 c of gravy
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: Toasting and Simmer: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
1/4 c Whole Wheat Flour
2 T Nutritional Yeast
1 t Onion Powder
1/2 t Garlic Powder
1/2 t Black Pepper
2 c Vegetable Broth low sodium
2 T Soy Sauce low sodium
1/2 t Yellow Mustard
1/2 t Kitchen Bouquet optional
Toast dry ingredients over low heat until aromatic
Slowly add veggie broth, whisking to remove any clumps
Add soy sauce, mustard, and kitchen bouquet and stir to combine
Simmer until desired thickness.