PP Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Peppers
Chef: Marla Rose
Makes: 15-20 Jack-O-Lanterns
Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hr 40 minutes
- 1 2/3 c low-sodium vegetable stock, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded andminced (optional)
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed and cut into smallish, uniform squares
- 1 T tamari (or Braggs Aminos)
- 1 T basil cut with herb scissors or chop into fine pieces
- 1 t thyme
- ¼ - ½ t cinnamon
- ¼-1/2 t cayenne powder
- ½ t chili powder (or more)
- 2 c defrosted organic corn
- 30 oz black beans, rinsed and drained
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 25 oz hominy, drained and rinsed
- 1-2 T adobo sauce (optional)
- 15-20 colorful peppers; try to find flat bottomed peppers
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven 375 degrees
- In a large, deep skillet (cast iron is perfect for this if you have one), heat 1/3 c of the vegetable stock over medium heat.
- Add the onion, saute. Stir often, for about 6 minutes
- Add the garlic, jalapeno & poblano peppers, butternut squash, additional 1/3 c of vegetable stock, tamari and spices. Raise the temperature to medium-high, cook, stirring often, for 10-13 minutes, until squash pieces are el dente.
- Add the corn, black beans, crushed tomatoes, hominy and adobo sauce as well as ½ - 1c of vegetable stock.
- Take mixture and begin filling the peppers and place on a large cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the peppers are appropriately decrepit looking.
- Pepper colors are totally up to you.
- You can find chipotle peppers packed
Marla Rose and John Beske hatched the idea for the original VeganStreet.com in 1997. Vegan Street conveyed the sense of community and spirit of optimism they felt about compassionate living. Through combining their convictions about veganism with their passions for writing, communications and the arts, they began to carve out their perfect vehicle to express it with -- VeganStreet.com.