Chef: Jeannie Hudkins
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 1 sweet onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced or minced
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can black beans or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 T smoked paprika
- ¼ t black pepper
- ¼ c whole wheat flour
- 3 c soy milk
- Black or brown rice or any whole grain, cooked
- Steam cauliflower in a saucepan until al dente (do not overcook). Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in a small amount of water until soft. Stir in the garlic and the mushrooms and saute until soft.
- In a coffee mug or measuring cup, mix the flour, paprika, and black pepper, Slowly stir in ½ cup of soy milk to make a thick paste. Stir in more of the milk to fill the mug, stirring until smooth.
- Add the steamed cauliflower and the black or red beans to the onion/mushroom mixture as well as the remaining soy milk. Stir over medium heat until the sauce thickens.
- Serve over black or brown rice or any whole grain.
- To decrease the fat content, decrease soy milk to 1 ½ cups and add 1 ½ cups water.
Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet, Eatlikeyougiveadamn-thebook.com ,Dietology 101: Be Slim, Be Full, Be Well