Chef: Laura Theodore; The Jazzy Vegetarian
Makes: 6 Servings
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 33 minutes
Total Time: 45 minuts
- 3 3/4 c peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped butternut squash
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/3 c raw cashews
- 1/2 c plus 1 1/2 T filtered or spring water, plus more as needed
- 3/4 t sea salt, plus more as needed
- 1 lb whole-wheat or whole-grain fusilli, elbow or chiocciole pasta
- 1 c frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 t dry mustard powder
- 1/4 t smoked paprika
- 1/8 t cayenne paprika
- 1/8 t ground tumeric
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fit a steamer basket into a medium-sized saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add 2 to 3 inches of cold water to the pot and then add the butternut squash and garlic. Cover and bright to a boil.
- Steam the butternut squash and garlic until very tender, about 20 minutes. Let the butternut squash and garlic cool for about 20 minutes (see note).
- Meanwhile, put the cashews and 1/2 c water in a small bowl. Let soak for 30 to 40 minutes. Drain the soaking water from the cashews and thoroughly rinse the cashews under clean, cold running water.
- Once the butternut squash and garlic have cooled, bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium high heat. Add 1/4 t salt (optional). Stir in the pasta. Decrease the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is almost tender (follow package instructions; usually 8-10 minutes). Add the peas and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender but firm and the peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Drain the pasta and peas.
- While the pasta and peas cook, put the cooled butternut squash and garlic, cashews, 1 1/2 T of cold water, mustard powder, smoked paprika, 1/2 t t salt, cayenne pepper and tumeric into a blender the process until the consistency of a thick, smooth sauce. Add more water 1 T at a time, as needed, to achieve the desired consistency. Transfer the sauce to a medium-sized pan and cook over medium-low heat, just until heated through, stirring often and adding more water as needed if the sauce is too thick.
- Put the pasta and peas in a large bowl. Immediately pour the warm sauce over the pasta and gently stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot.
With her love for good food, compassion for animals and enthusiasm for great music, multi-talented author, Laura Theodore, truly is the Jazzy Vegetarian. Experience the JazzyVegetarian @ www.jazzyvegetarian.com, www.lauratheodore.com, www.vegan-ease.com
Streaming Online Television Channel: www.jazzyvegetariantv.com
Social Media: https://twitter.com/Jazzyvegetarian, https://www.facebook.com/JazzyVegetarian/