Chef: Laura Theodore; The Jazzy Vegetarian
Makes: 6 Burgers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 32 minutes
Total Time: 42 minutes
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 c plus 2 heaping T prepared salsa, plus more as needed (see note)
- 3 slices whole-grain bread, torn into chunks
- ¼ t ground cumin
- 2/3 c rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- Put the black beans and salsa in a medium-sized bowl and mash using a potato masher or large fork until well combined. Put the bread chunks and cumin in a blender and process into coarse crumbs. Add the bread crumbs to the black bean mixture and stir to combine. Stir in the rolled oats and mix to combine. If the mixture seems dry, stir in another heaping tablespoon of salsa and mix to combine.
- Scoop up a generous ½ c of the black bean mixture and put it on the prepared pan. Form it into a burger, shaping it with clean hands, then flattening it slightly. Continue in this manner to make five more burgers (see note). Bake for 20 minutes. Flip the burgers and bake for 8 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
- You may use mild, medium or hot salsa in this recipe. Add 5 to 7 minutes to the baking time.
- Once formed, the burgers may be covered and refrigerated for 2 to 6 hours before cooking.
With her love for good food, compassion for animals and enthusiasm for great music, multi-talented author, Laura Theodore, truly is the Jazzy Vegetarian. Experience the JazzyVegetarian @ www.jazzyvegetarian.com, www.lauratheodore.com, www.vegan-ease.com
Streaming Online Television Channel: www.jazzyvegetariantv.com
Social Media: https://twitter.com/Jazzyvegetarian, https://www.facebook.com/JazzyVegetarian/