Chef: Laura Theodore; The Jazzy Vegetarian
Makes: 6-8 servings
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hr 15 minutes
- 6 c cubed butternut squash (1” cubes)
- 4 c cauliflower florets
- ½ c chopped onion (from 1 small onion)
- 1 t Italian or all-purpose seasoning
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 t ground cinnamon
- ¼ t ground ginger
- ¼ t sea salt
- 2 ½ c vegetable stock, divided, plus more as needed
- 2 T maple syrup, divided
- Fit steamer basket into a large pot with a tight-fitting lid. Add 2” of cold water, then add the squash. Cover, bring to a boil, and steam for 7 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and onion. Sprinkle with the Italian or all-purpose seasoning and steam for 20 minutes more or until the squash and the cauliflower are both very soft.
- Put the squash mixture in a large bowl. Let cool for 15 minutes.
- Add the apples, cinnamon, ginger, and salt and stir to coat.
- Put half of the mixture in a blender. Add 1 ¼ c vegetable stock and 1 T maple syrup and process until smooth. Pour into a soup pot.
- Put the second half of the squash mixture in the blender. Add the remaining 1 ¼ cups vegetable stock and 1 T maple syrup, and process until smooth. Add to the soup pot, and then stir the two batches together. If the soup seems too thick, add more vegetable stock to taste.
- Put the pot over medium low heat, cover, and simmer, stirring often, until heated through; about 10 minutes.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls.
With her love for good food, compassion for animals and enthusiasm for great music, multi-talented author, Laura Theodore, truly is the Jazzy Vegetarian. Experience the JazzyVegetarian @ www.jazzyvegetarian.com, www.lauratheodore.com, www.vegan-ease.com
Streaming Online Television Channel: www.jazzyvegetariantv.com
Social Media: https://www.facebook.com/JazzyVegetarian/