Chef: Denise Kling-Pelto
Makes: 16 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes (Not including time to reach pressure or cool down)
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 lg sweet onion, diced
- 5 stalks of celery, sliced 1/4" thick
- 1 8oz pkg mini portabellas (or whatever mushroom you prefer) sliced
- 3 cans fireroasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cans no salt black beans
- 12 cups low salt or not salt veggie broth (you can always add more when reheating)
- 2 lbs frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 head of Kale; fresh or frozen; bite size chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 T high quality no salt mixture (I use Costco's)
- After cooking add basil, parsley or marjoram if you like. Fresh herbs do better afterward.
- I have an 8 qt pot. CHECK YOUR PRESSURE COOKER DIRECTIONS FOR MAXIMUM FILL. You may have reduce the amounts of ingredients to safely cook on high pressure.
- Set your InstaPot or other pressure cooker to saute. Place diced onion in the pot once hot enough to make water dance.
- Keep stirring to prevent burning, once translucent, add celery and mushrooms. Continuing to saute. Use a a bit of your veggie broth to prevent sticking if necessary. Add garlic (overcooking makes it bitter)
- Add the tomatoes, black beans, veggie broth, no salt seasoning and bay leaf.
- (If you are adding fresh herbs, add after the process. They lose too much flavor if overcooked.)
- Stir well.
- Reset pressure cooker to MANUAL, set time for 10 minutes.
- Seal, (not vent) and it will do the rest.
- Allow to cool down, or if you don't have time, carefully open vent and remove top once steam jet stops.
Denise Kling-Pelto is the Culinary Curator for PBNSG, FFL Instructor and graduate of the Natural Kitchen Cooking School. Co-Owner Plant-Healthy Gals we teach plant based topics, cooking and strategies. Visit us on Plant-HealthyGals.com or on Facebook at .