Chef: Laura Theodore; Jazzy Vegetarian
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
- 1/2 c plus 1 T filtered or spring water, plus more as needed
- 1/2 c nondairy milk
- 2 t freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 c plus 4 t whole wheat flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/4 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c raisins
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Line a pizza pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- 5 to 10 minutes to make a light vegan "buttermilk"; putthe water, nondairy milk and lemon juice in a small bowl and stir to combine. Let the mixture stand for 5 to 10 minutes to make a light vegan “buttermilk.”
- Meanwhile, put 2 c of the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl and stir with a dry whisk to combine.
- Pour the "buttermilk" into the dry mixture and stir with a large spoon to combine, forming a soft dough.
- Gently fold in the cranberries and raisins. Do not over mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with 3 t of flour.
- Lightly knead for 30 seconds or so. Avoid overworking the dough.
- Shape the dough into a round disk-shaped loaf and gently place it on the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1 t of flour over the top of the load.
- Cut a deep "X" in the top with a sharp knife.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Decrease the oven temperature to 400 degrees F. and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is firm and crusty.
- Put the bread on a wire rack to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.
- Serve warm.
With her love for good food, compassion for animals and enthusiasm for great music, multi-talented author, Laura Theodore, truly is the Jazzy Vegetarian. Experience the JazzyVegetarian @ www.jazzyvegetarian.com, www.lauratheodore.com, www.vegan-ease.com
Streaming Online Television Channel: www.jazzyvegetariantv.com
Social Media: https://twitter.com/Jazzyvegetarian, https://www.facebook.com/JazzyVegetarian/