Chef: Will Kriski
Makes: 4-5 Servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes (grill) 30 minutes (bake)
Total Time: 25-30 minutes (grill) 40 minutes (bake)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 c/handful of spinach
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 5 medium potatoes (I use yellow-fleshed)
- Optional spices – onion powder, garlic powder, seasoning salt (optional)
- Season to taste.
- Wash and shred potatoes using a grater. It’s a good workout!
- Put the shredded potatoes in a strainer and rinse under the tap, mixing the potatoes around as you rinse them. Squeeze out the excess water – I push with both hands while the strainer is in the sink to drain out excess water.
- Add any spices to the shredded potatoes and mix.
- Turn on your griddle, portable grill, waffle iron, panini or 5 in 1 grill on the highest heat setting.
- Cook the potatoes in the grill for about 15-20 minutes until they are a solid layer, don’t stick to the plates and are browning nicely (times may vary depending on your device). ~or~
- Bake in 400 – 450 degree oven for 20-30 minutes. Use Spat or parchment paper(flip so both sides get crispy)
- Meanwhile, chop up your veggies (I used onions, green/red pepper) and fry in a non-stick pan with a little water or veggie broth.
- I like to dry fry my onions first before adding the other veggies and water, in order to bring out the natural sugars of the onions. If the water disappears over time, add a bit more water to the pan.
- You might want to add mushrooms or whatever other veggies you like.
- When the veggies get close to being soft, toss in some spinach if you like and cook for a minute or two until the spinach shrinks down in size.
- When the potatoes are done you should be able to lift the lid without anything sticking.
- Take the potatoes out with a spatula and carefully lay onto a plate.
- Then add the veggies to one side of the layer.
- I also add in some fresh chopped tomatoes.
- Flip the half of the potatoes with no veggies over the half with the veggies to cover them .
- For the filling use whatever veggies you like.
- You can top with the Cheeze sauce on my site if you like. (I didn’t)
- For the removable plates use the grill side – the grill is the bumpy side and the griddle has the smooth side (pancakes).
To see more simple, quick & no-oil-starch-based recipes along with healthy weight loss advice, visit Will Kriski’s site www.potatostrong.com