Chef: Chuck Underwood
Makes: 12 Servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 20 min
Total Time: 40 min
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 stalk of celery, minced
- 1 medium carrot, minced
- ¼ c of low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 oz Button Mushrooms, sliced
- 8 oz Seitan, (optional Portabello Mushrooms)
- 1 t dried rosemary
- 1 t Italian seasoning
- ½ of white wine (okay to sub with more broth, but the wine really adds a good flavor)
- 3 c of low-sodium veggie broth
- ½ t salt
- ¼ t ground pepper
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes, rough chopped
- 8 oz can of tomato sauce
- ½ t kitchen bouquet
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T cornstarch
- 1 c of frozen peas
- Mince the carrot, celery stalk, and small onion very fine.
- Saute this mixture in ¼ cup of veggie broth until the veggies are nice and soft.
- Add the large chopped onion and continue cooking until softened.
- It’s ok if the liquid gets a little low – the brown bits add to the flavor.
- Stir in the seitan. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook on medium high until they lose their liquid.
- Season with the rosemary and italian seasoning.
- Add the wine and deglaze any brown spots in your pan. (This is the good stuff!)
- After a few minutes add the rest of the broth, the tomatoes and tomato sauce.
- Add all your chopped veggies and turn the heat up to boil.
- Add the rest of the seasonings – but not the cornstarch.
- Once it is boiling, turn down the heat to low and add the peas.
- Mix the cornstarch with a tablespoon of cold water and stir this in to thicken.
- Simmer to desired consistency.
Relying on his Southern Heritage, Chuck creates those yummy comfort foods "Plant Rich Style"! Connect Chuck Underwood at:
/Relying on his Southern Heritage, Chuck creates those yummy comfort foods "Plant Rich Style"! Connect Chuck Underwood at: