PP: TO-FU Young
Chef: Jeannie Hudkins
Makes: 2 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes (mostly unattended)
- 2 portobello mushrooms, rinsed
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 c mushrooms, chopped
- 1 pkg. bean sprouts, rinsed
- 1 12.3-oz. pkg. firm or extra-firm silken tofu (sold in Asian sections of supermarkets)
- 2 t Turmeric
- 2 T soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Water-saute portobello mushrooms for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside
- Water-saute scallions and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add bean sprouts and saute until bean sprouts are tender, being careful not to overcook them. Drain excess water and set aside.
- In a blender, blend tofu, turmeric, and soy sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine the tofu mixture with the bean sprout/mushroom mixture.
- Line a pan with non-stick aluminum foil. Using a large spoon, place tofu mixture on foil-lined pan to resemble two large pancakes.
- Cook for 15 minutes, then carefully flip the ‘pancakes’. (If they break, simply rearrange into pancake shapes.) Cook for another 15 minutes. Optionally, broil for a few minutes to crisp the topside.
- Serve each To-Fu Yung pancake on top of a portobello mushroom. Enjoy with a side of black rice and steamed kale.
Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet