Chef: Terri Edwards
Makes: 5-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 c cooked bulgur
- 3-15 oz cans beans, any variety (pinto, navy, red kidney, black, etc)
- 1/4 c dry taco seasoning (purchased or homemade)
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes
- pinch cayenne pepper optional
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- 1 c potatoes, peeled & diced
- 1/4 c carrots, diced
- 1/4 c onions, chopped
- 1 c broth from veggies
- 1/2 c raw cashews, unsoaked (1/2 c white beans to make PP)
- 4 T nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 t sea salt
- 1/2 t garlic powder
- pinch paprika
- pinch cayenne (optional)
- Drain and rinse cans of beans (or use fresh cooked). I do this by dumping them in a large drainer in the sink and running lots of water over them. For this recipe I used pinto, navy, and black beans.
- Add beans to a large glass (or microwavable) bowl and add cooked bulgur, taco seasoning mix, fire roasted tomatoes with juice, and cayenne.
- Cook in microwave for approximately 3 minutes.
- Stir and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- While this is cooking, chop any veggies you like & add. My favorites: fresh spinach, tomatoes, cilantro, and onions.
- Layer bean/bulgur/taco mixture, chips, fresh veggies, vegan cheese sauce, salsa, and tofu sour cream.
Vegan Cheese Sauce
- In medium pot, bring about 3 cups of water to a boil. Place potatoes, carrots, and onion in pot and allow to cook until veggies are tender, approximately 15 minutes. (Cooking time will vary based on how small the veggies are diced.)
- When veggies are tender, drain and place them in blender. NOTE: reserve 1 cup of the broth, and add to blender.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, and blend until smooth.
- You can add your own dairy-free/oil free cheese to these nachos, but I like this simple Vegan Cheese Sauce made with potatoes, carrots, onions, and nutritional yeast in blender (after veggies are boiled). It's absolutely the BEST plant-based cheese I've ever tasted!
Homemade tortilla no oil added, tortilla chips can be easily made;
- Use regular corn tortillas.
- Slice each one into 8 slices using a pizza slicer.
- Arrange on a baking sheet and spritz with a water bottle. Sprinkle with sea salt and garlic powder.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 5-7 minutes until crispy and golden brown. Very easy and delish!
TERRI EDWARDS is a Licensed Food for Life Instructor and Educator. Connect with Terri at her blog EatPlant-Based.com & blog.eatplant-based.com for her latest recipes and plant-based living tips. Follow her on FaceBook at (https://www.facebook.com/EatPlantBased/ )