Chef: Jeannie Hudkins
Makes: 2 - 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 30 - 40 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hr 10 minutes
- 1 pkg. extra-firm tofu
- 5 T soy sauce, divided
- 3 T hoisin sauce
- 2 T rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. ginger
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 can water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Lettuce leaves
- Wrap block of tofu in a paper towel or linen cloth to remove excess moisture.
- Cut tofu into small cubes. Place tofu cubes in a bowl and add 2 T of the soy sauce.
- Mix gently to coat all cubes. Place tofu cubes on a parchment-lined pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes - until firm on the outside but still soft on the inside.
- Mix together hoisin sauce, the remaining 3 T soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Water-saute the mushrooms and green onions until tender. Add water chestnuts, baked tofu, and the hoisin/soy mixture. Cook for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- To serve, place a scoop of the bean mixture on lettuce leaf.
Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet