Chef: Jessica Meyer-Altman; Garden Fresh Foodie
Makes: 10-12 Servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes SEE ALSO: Recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Compote (add 35 min to your total prep)
Strawberry Rhubarb Compote SEE RECIPE UNDER ANYTIME OR SAUCES
Pecan Ginger Crust (you'll love this for the base of any fruit tart-plus it's raw!)
- 2 c pecans
- 1½ T crystallized ginger (you can also use fresh ginger, also)
- 3 T date paste
- 1 t cinnamon
- ⅛ t salt
- 1 pack of silken tofu-extra firm or firm (not traditional tofu, be sure to get silken!)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1¼ cup strawberry rhubarb compote (reserve remaining compote for topping)
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp sweetener of date paste or maple syrup (to taste-want it sweeter, add more-I used date paste)
**To make date paste:
Pit dates, soak dates in hot water, drain, add to blender, adding just enough water to puree them, you can have date paste as a replacement for traditional sugars. Make a bunch, what you don't use can be frozen. Date paste doesn't freeze solid.
- Remaining compote
- Freshly sliced strawberries and whatever other berries are in season! Blueberries would be great for 4th of July or Labor Day!
Optional: Drizzle of maple syrup or chocolate or espresso balsamic vinegar (we didn't, but it'd be good!)
Make strawberry rhubarb compote; SEE RECIPE UNDER ANYTIME OR SAUCES
-can be done several days in advance (lasts 1 week in fridge). If making same day, be sure to make sure it is cold before proceeding (you'll use the whole recipe, so if you want more for toppings this week, double it!).
Pecan Ginger Crust
- Place pecans in food processor and chop until mostly ground.
- Add remaining ingredients and process until mixture can come to a ball when squeezed (about 1-2 min).
- Press into a tart pan, chill if making ahead (can be made 1 day ahead).
- Place tofu, lemon zest, and 1¼ cup compote in a blender.
- blend until uniform, about 30 seconds.
- Taste, and add additional sweetener if desired.
- Pour into crust, chill for several hours (if needing to set quickly, can place in freezer for 1 hour).
- Top with remaining compote.
- Decorate with fresh berries right before serving.
- Optional: Before serving, sprinkle with cocoa, and with chocolate or espresso flavored balsamic vinegar and more fresh berries to serve.
Jessica Meyers Altman
Associate Professor of Whole Food Nutrition & Living
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
Garden Fresh Foodie blog: www.gardenfreshfoodie.com