PP: Strawberry Rhubarb Compote
Chef: Jessica Meyer Altman; Garden Fresh Foodie
Makes: 3 c
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 c chopped rhubarb
- 2 c, plus ½ c reserved, sliced strawberries or cherries
- ¼-1/2 c water to thin
- 3 T chopped crystallized ginger (To cut sugar, you can use fresh ginger. I'd use less, probably 1½ T freshly minced-I used the crystallized)
- 1-2 T maple syrup (based on desired sweetness and if using crystallized ginger or not)
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1 T tapioca starch, arrowroot, or organic cornstarch
- Chop strawberries and rhubarb.
- Add all ingredients to a pot, except tapioca starch, and bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer until tender, adding in more liquid if needed.
- In a separate bowl, place tapioca starch. Remove a few tablespoons of hot liquid and add to tapioca starch, stir until combined, and return to pot. Simmer until sauce-like consistency, and stir in reserved berries for a little added texture.
- Serve atop waffles, chia pudding, or use as a jam. Sauce gets even better the next day!
- Sometimes rhubarb can be stringy. If this happens as you cut it, remove the strands.
Jessica Meyers Altman
Associate Professor of Whole Food Nutrition & Living
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
Garden Fresh Foodie blog: www.gardenfreshfoodie.com