PP: Risotto with Fresh Asparagus and Baby Peas
Chef: Vicki Brett Gach
Makes: 4 servings
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- I c Arborio rice
- 1/2 c dry white wine
- 4 c vegetable broth, heated
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus, washed, ends removed, and trimmed into 1 1/2 inch-long pieces
- 1/2 c baby peas, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 t kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 t coarse ground black pepper
- (1/4 to 1/2 c water, only if needed)
- In a large saucepan or electric skillet, sauté diced onion for 3 to 5 minutes (or until softened) in a few tablespoons of water, to prevent sticking.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the rice and the wine, and stir until absorbed.
- Add one or two ladles of vegetable broth at a time, stirring frequently after each addition. Wait until broth is almost completely absorbed before adding more. After using the broth, if additional liquid is needed, add just a little bit of water at a time. (You may not find this step necessary, depending on how hot your skillet is.)
- After cooking the rice in liquid for about 15 minutes, add the fresh asparagus and baby peas. Season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook for about five minutes more, just until vegetables are barely tender.
- Once rice looks creamy, and grains are almost tender, but still slightly firm in the center, remove from heat. Allow to sit without stirring for one minute.
- Season to taste, and serve immediately.
VICKI BRETT-GACH is a Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator. Connect with Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/AnnArborVeganKitchen) and follow her Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen blog at http://annarborvegankitchen.com for new recipes as soon as they are published.