Chef: Jessica Meyers-Altman; Garden Fresh Foodie
Makes: 4-6 servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 32 minutes
INGREDIENTS for Salad Base
- 1 c wild rice or black rice
- 1 c diced mango (whole mango)
- ¼ c minced scallions
- 1 c diced red pepper
- ½ c shredded or julienne carrots
- ½ c celery
- 1 T lime juice
- ½ T maple syrup
- ¼ c minced cilantro or parsley (I LOVE cilantro, but there's a lot of haters out there)
- salt/pepper to taste
- ½ c Carrot Ginger Dressing (or more based on texture desire)
- ¼ c pumpkin seeds (eliminate to make this pretty salad PP)
- Make Carrot Chia Dressing
- For rice salad base: cook rice with 2 cups of water, preferably in a pressure cooker. If rice cooker or pressure cooker, bring to pressure, reduce heat to low and cook 12 minutes, turn heat off and allow heat to drop. Alternatively: bring water and rice to boil, reduce to low and cook until water is absorbed and rice is chewy, not mushy, about 45 minutes. This can be done ahead of time, 1-2 days.
- Cut all ingredients while rice is cooking. When cutting mango-squeeze lime juice on top to prevent browning.
- Once rice has cooled, add all ingredients together, adding in dressing, as desired.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and additional lime juice if desired.
CARROT GINGER DRESSING
Makes: 1½ cups
Prep Time: 5 minutes
INGREDIENTS for Dressing
- 1 T white chia seed
- 1 T lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, about 1 T
- 1 heaping T minced ginger
- ½ c diced carrots
- 2 dates, pitted and soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- 2 T red onion
- pinch salt
- ¾ c water
- Place all ingredients into blender, and blend
- Serve with Rainbow Rice Salad or any other salad and enjoy!
- Dressing will keep in fridge for 3-5 days, brightest colors on day it's made.
Jessica Meyers Altman
Associate Professor of Whole Food Nutrition & Living
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
Garden Fresh Foodie blog: www.gardenfreshfoodie.com