Home Chef: Jean Hayes
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 25-40 min depending on type of grain
Total Time: 45 min
- 1 c farro (uncooked)
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded, peeled, and chopped into small pieces
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 1/2 c frozen mango chunks
- 3 green onions, chopped, use white and green parts
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, segmented and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 orange, peeled, segmented and cut into bite sized pieces
- The juice of 1 orange
- 1 T grapefruit white balsamic vinegar or plain white balsamic with a T of grapefruit juice
- 1/8 c chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 c or more chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 t real maple syrup
- Cook the farro according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Add all of the chopped fruits, herbs, and veggies to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the orange juice, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and if you love grapefruit and sour flavors, add a little grapefruit juice. I cut the ends of the grapefruit before I peeled it and used the juice from the ends. I also leave the pulp in the juice.
- Once the farro is cooled sufficiently, mix it gently with the fruits and veggies and dressing.
- Chill the salad and enjoy!
- Serve over a bed of leafy greens and listen to your arteries sing!
- The pith of the grapefruit is bitter, so I removed it when peeling and segmenting the grapefruit. Here's a video about how to make great segments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tbf9fGAC10
- For extra citrus flavor, zest the oranges and grapefruit over the top of the salad.
- If you don't have farro or want a cheaper substitute, try using barley. It tastes great and has a similar nutty quality but is less expensive.
- Flavored balsamic vinegars are not only great for a salad like this, but are great over greens. If you don't have flavored vinegars in a shop near you, you can find some great options online. They are the simplest salad dressing and there are so many flavors available!
Remember to have fun with your food and enjoy!