PP: Cannellini Burgers with Sundried Tomato and Basil
Home Chef: Jean Hayes
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 20-30 min
Total Time: 30-40 min
- 15 oz can of low sodium or no salt added cannellini beans, reserve some of the liquid
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 generous t tomato paste
- 1 T dried oregano
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 T nutritional yeast
- ½ c. cooked brown rice
- ½ c. quick cooking oats
- 4 sun dried tomato halves, chopped
- A small handful of fresh basil, chopped
- A couple of shakes of crushed red pepper
- Place beans in food processor with garlic, oregano, tomato paste, rice, oats, red pepper, and nutritional yeast, and mix. If you don’t have a food processor, mash with potato masher or your hands.
- If mixture is too dry or stiff, add a small amount of the bean liquid or water.
- Mix in the sun dried tomatoes and basil by hand.
- Form mixture into patties.
- Brown burgers in nonstick pan about 5 min on each side over medium high heat. Get the pan hot first before you place the burgers in. Resist the temptation to turn too quickly as they will stick. If they do stick, don’t worry, they will eventually brown.
- Place the burgers in the oven or toaster oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 min to heat them through after they are browned. Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat on a baking tray to prevent sticking.
- Alternately, you can bake the burgers in the oven at 350 for 10-15 min on each side until they are done to your liking.
- Serve with greens and top with pasta or pizza sauce or your favorite veggies and burger toppings.
- Listen to your arteries sing!
- These are great with a side of whole grain pasta but you can also serve them on a whole grain bun with spinach and sliced tomatoes or your favorite toppings.
- Resist the temptation to coat your pan with oil. Remember, Dr. Esselstyn says, "NO OIL!"
Remember to have fun with your food and enjoy!