Chef: Jessica Meyers-Altman; Garden Fresh Foodie
Makes: 36 Appetizers
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 ½ lbs of cremini mushrooms (that’s the baby portabellas)
- ½ c finely diced red pepper
- ½ c finely diced red/white onion
- 1 ½ c if bread crumb of choice, or add in almond meal or rice to help veggies bined (can grind up bread in a food processor to make your own and avoid pre-packaged bread crumbs with preservatives/oils-took me 4 pieces of no oil prepared whole grain bread, and I had left overs)
- ¾ t salt, pepper, and thyme
- ½ t turmeric
- Water/broth to prevent sticking
- Wipe clean the mushrooms, and de-stem. Finely chop up enough of the stems to equal out 1 1/4 c.
- Heat pan, add onions and saute until golden, adding in water or broth to prevent sticking.
- Add peppers, mushrooms, bread crumbs/almond meal if using and seasonings and saute until softened.
- Place mushroom caps on a cookie sheet and add filling to mushroom caps.
- Heat oven to 350 and bake for about 15 minutes, until they look softened, and the bread crumbs, almond meal or rice have browned slightly. If a more crunchy top is desired, place under broiler for 2-3 minutes (be careful not to burn).
Jessica Meyers Altman
Associate Professor of Whole Food Nutrition & Living
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
Garden Fresh Foodie blog: www.gardenfreshfoodie.com