Chef: Will Kriski
Makes: 18 appetizers
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10-20 minutes
Total Time: 15-25 minutes
- 1 lb Cremini mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 medium to large onion, diced
- 1 whole grain NO OIL baguette, sliced into 18 or more (see PotatoStrong.com for recipe)
- 1/4-1/2t black pepper (the more the hotter/spicier it will be)
- ½ t red pepper flakes (add more if you like it really hot)
- Optional salt to taste or use a little low sodium veggie stock when cooking onions
- Preheat oven to 350-400F.
- Slice up baguette into 18 or more slices.
- Put on non-stick Silpat sheet (or parchment paper).
- Bake slices for 10-20 minutes until crispy (keep an eye on it) but not burned or too brown (depending on how you like it).
- Dry or veggie broth saute onions on high heat, until starting to brown and then add a little water or veggie broth to bring out the sugars (caramelize).
- Repeat this process as the water burns off. As the onions brown then add the pressed garlic clove and chopped mushrooms.
- The mushrooms will release some liquid so cook until the liquid is basically burned off (I don’t like it too dry).
- Add the black pepper and pepper flakes as the liquid is being cooked off.
- Put the mushroom mixture on the slices and serve.
To see more simple, quick & no-oil-starch-based recipes along with healthy weight loss advice, visit Will Kriski’s site www.potatostrong.com