Chef: Jeannie Hudkins
Makes: 2 - 3 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes (sauce) 5 minutes (broil)
- ¼ c cashews
- 1 ½ T lemon juice
- 1 t rice vinegar
- 1 T miso (or substitute Dijon mustard)
- 1 t kelp flakes
- ¼ c water
- 1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium slice red onion, finely chopped
- 10 basil leaves, chopped
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- ½ c nondairy milk
- ¼ c nutritional yeast
- ⅛ c ketchup (or tomato sauce)
- 1 T cornstarch
- ¼ t onion powder
- ¼ t garlic powder
- ⅛ t cumin
- ½ t turmeric
- To prepare the sauce, place cashews in blender and blend until finely ground.
- Add lemon juice, vinegar, miso, kelp, and ¼ cup water to the blender and blend until well combined. Transfer sauce to a bowl.
- To prepare the sandwich spread, place garbanzo beans in a blender and pulse until the beans are just broken up but still flaky. Do not over blend.
- Transfer beans to the bowl containing the sauce. Add the celery, red onion, and basil, and stir to combine.
- Toast two (or three) pieces of whole grain bread.
- Spoon the sandwich spread over the toast. Set aside.
- To make the cheeze: Into a saucepan, place the nondairy milk, nutritional yeast, ketchup, cornstarch, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, and turmeric.
- Whisk over low heat until thickened.
- Top each sandwich with cheeze sauce.
- Place sandwiches under a broiler and bake until cheeze is slightly brown. (Keep a close eye on the sandwich while broiling!)
Eat Like You Give a Damn: For the Animals, For Your Health, For Our Planet