Chef: Marla Rose
Makes: 6-8 Servings
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 1/3 c low-sodium vegetarian broth, divided
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 c baby bella mushrooms, sliced (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 1 T low-sodium tamari
- 1 c buckwheat groats, a.k.a., kasha, medium or coarse grain
- 1 VeganEgg, prepared as per instructions
- 8 oz. whole grain seashell pasta, cooked
- ½ c fresh dill, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet or pan with a lid, heat 1/3 cup vegetable broth over medium-high heat for a minute, then add the onions.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onions become tender; about six minutes.
- Add the garlic, mushrooms and tamari and cook for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine the buckwheat groats and prepared VeganEgg until the groats are all coated.
- Add to the pan and cook, stirring often, until the groats separate and dry out a bit, about two minutes. Add the broth and cook until it’s at a low boil, then cover and lower the heat.
- Cook for 12 – 14 minutes or until the groats are tender.
- Add the cooked pasta, season with dill, salt and pepper.
- Serve with extra dill on top.
Marla Rose and John Beske hatched the idea for the original VeganStreet.com in 1997. Vegan Street conveyed the sense of community and spirit of optimism they felt about compassionate living. Through combining their convictions about veganism with their passions for writing, communications and the arts, they began to carve out their perfect vehicle to express it with -- VeganStreet.com.